Nothing to Prove, Nothing to Lose

musings, thoughts, and ramblings from a tall guy in a small town

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nocona, Texas, United States

I like Pebbles, both fruity and cocoa. I like fruit flavored sodas, specifically orange, grape, and peach. I like the dark meat of a chicken. I love my wife and my kids. I love my church. I love Jesus because He first loved me.

Saturday, November 01, 2008

A New Perspective

Like everyone else, I have been depressed (no pun intended) about the current state of the economy, and especially its effect on my 401k. As I have watched my retirement account dwindle, I have been tempted to despair. Will I be able to retire when I want to?

But I am a firm believer that God is sovereign over all things, so I began to wonder how God's purpose in the failing economy might be for my good and His glory. Here's the thought that gripped me yesterday: what if I am unable to retire when I want so that I would be forced to preach to live in my declining years. Not that I don't love preaching, but I can see myself falling to temptation at age 65 or 70 and just sitting back and getting lazy. If that were to happen, there would be one less gospel preacher fulfilling his passion and call. Sometimes I need a kick in the seat, and, just maybe, a depleted bank account will be the factor that keeps me proclaiming the gospel for the name and renown of God.

BTW, here's the video that got me thinking about this:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home