Nothing to Prove, Nothing to Lose

musings, thoughts, and ramblings from a tall guy in a small town

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nocona, Texas, United States

I like Pebbles, both fruity and cocoa. I like fruit flavored sodas, specifically orange, grape, and peach. I like the dark meat of a chicken. I love my wife and my kids. I love my church. I love Jesus because He first loved me.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Be careful what you wish for...

or I guess to be more grammatically correct, "be careful for what you wish. "

From the time I first sensed a call to full time ministry, I always had one of these idealistic, dreamy visions of what pastoring would be like. I would watch old movies and television shows in which every little town had its own "preacher" who everyone knew and loved. The little old ladies would bring pies to his house and the local barber would offer him free hair cuts (which of course he would refuse...AND he'd give a good tip). When the townspeople had a problem, they would come to the preacher for counsel and advice. He would do all the weddings and all the funerals. He was the "community pastor." I've always wanted to be that guy.

The problem, until recently, was that I had lived in places like Tampa and Ft. Worth. Big cities like these aren't real conducive to the "community pastor."

All that changed 5 years ago when I moved the family to Nocona, TX, population 3,000 to serve as youth and music minister in a small church. I quickly became entrenched in small-town life. I became a regular at the Dairy Queen every morning for coffee. I joined the Rotary Club. I became a volunteer firefighter. I refereed "Little Dribblers" basketball games. I announced the Jr. High and JV football games on Thursday nights. I would substitute teach one day a month.

When our pastor resigned suddenly 2 years ago and the church called me to shepherd them, it seemed as though my dreams had been fulfilled. I had become the very thing I had always wanted. I was the community pastor.

And that's great. But on weeks like this week, where I've had to do 3 funerals in 4 days for people who did not even attend our church, I begin to wonder. Were my dreams too idealistic? Did I think ministry like that would be all sunshine and butterflies? Didn't I realize the amount of work that would go into serving an entire community?

I guess I didn't. But to tell you the truth, seeing the smiles on the tear-stained faced and hearing the words of gratitude coming from trembling lips, I wouldn't have it any other way. I am proud to call Nocona my home. I am proud to call these people my people. And I am honored and humbled that God would allow me the privilege and place upon me the responsibility of being Christ to these wonderful folks. Even when I am beat down and worn out, it is a joy to love and care for the people of our town. It humbles me, and at the same time it buoys my spirits. May I walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which I have been called.

Dave

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny, how we used to have the "ideal" or "perfect" ministry scenario worked out when we were in seminary and yet look where we are now? I've often wondered about God's repsonse and reaction to our daydreaming of what we hoped things would look like for us in ministry.

There's something to be said for simplicity. It really helps to put things in perspective doesn't it?

10:03 AM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger dave woodbury said...

Somewhere along the line I got sidetracked and thought megachurch youth ministry was where it was at. That one came crashing down, didn't it?

As far as where God plays into the whole "desires of your heart" thing, I tend to shy away from any system that begins with my desires and has God responding. It may seem that way from my perspective, but I think the testimony of Scripture is that God initiates and we respond. So I guess I see it more that early on God planted the seeds of desire in me for what He had planned down the road.

And we're back to predestination. Of course.

10:58 AM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, sure, God certainly planted those desires, but then we, out of ignorance/shortsightedness/lack of experience/etc. interpret those based on our "ideas" or translation of what God is saying. I mean, obviously God is on board with us and what we want to do right?(sarcasm). When I mentioned God responding to our "daydreaming and hopes" it was more in a sense of God rolling his eyes.

I think it's only when we can gain some experience, and experiences, and then look back can we truly understand and interpret what God was saying all along.

It's difficult at times here teaching our ministry students who were just like we were way back then. I keep thinking, "okay, but get ready because God is really going to blow your mind. He's not going to be put in a box. I hope you'll be ready and open when that time comes."

12:06 PM, October 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,

Your above comment really got me to thinking today. Thanks! I linked to this post on my blog.

I was glad to hear your words about being content in the place where God led you.

12:11 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger dave woodbury said...

The Anonymous Rusty,

Gotcha. I kinda misread your first comment. I definitely see what your saying about how God must view our plans and our goals.

And it certainly is amazing to see how He's worked so far and to imagine that He's probably going to continue to work in ways I can't even imagine right now.

3:55 PM, October 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home